Book:Pappus of Alexandria/Collection
Pappus of Alexandria: Collection
Published $c. 340$.
- A compendium of the state of mathematics as it was known as the time.
- Book I is lost.
- Book II (the first part of which is lost) concerned the multiplication system of Apollonius of Perga.
- Book III contains geometrical problems.
- Book IV contains deep theorems concerning circles and other more complicated curved geometrical figures.
- Book V contains solid geometry, taking as its starting point the five Platonic solids.
- Book VI resolves difficulties in various "lesser astronomical works" (i.e. others than Ptolemy's Almagest), including Euclid's Optics and Phaenomena.
- Book VII discusses books by various authors: Euclid, Apollonius, Aristaeus and Eratosthenes.
- Book VIII is mainly mechanics, but there are some theorems of pure geometry as well.
Also known as
In the original Greek: Synagoge (Συναγωγή).
Also referred to as Mathematical Collection