Book:Stephen Hawking/The Universe in a Nutshell
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Stephen Hawking: The Universe in a Nutshell
Published $2001$, Bantam
- ISBN 0-593-04815-6.
- CHAPTER 1 - A Brief History of Relativity
- How Einstein laid the foundations of the two fundamental theories of the twentieth century: general relativity and quantum theory.
- CHAPTER 2 - The Shape of Time
- Einstein's general relativity gives time a shape. How this can be reconciled with quantum theory.
- CHAPTER 3 - The Universe in a Nutshell
- The universe has multiple histories, each of which is determined by a tiny nut.
- CHAPTER 4 - Predicting the Future
- How the loss of information in black holes may reduce our ability to predict the future.
- CHAPTER 5 - Protecting the Past
- Is time travel possible? Could an advanced civilisation go back and change the past?
- CHAPTER 6 - Our Future? Star Trek or Not?
- How biological and electronic life will go on developing in complexity at an ever increasing rata.
- CHAPTER 7 - Brane New World
- Do we live in a brane or are we just holograms?
- Suggested further readings