Definition:Identity/Also known as
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Identity: Also known as
Other terms which are seen that mean the same as identity are:
- Two-sided identity, to reflect the fact that it is both a left identity and a right identity.
- Neutral element, which is perfectly okay, but considered slightly old-fashioned.
- Unit element, but this is not recommended as it is too easy to confuse it with a unit of a ring.
- Unity, but this is generally reserved for a ring unity.
- Zero, but it is best to reserve that term for a zero element.
- The trivial element, in the context of a group.
Some sources use $I$ for the identity.