Mathematician:Abraham Halevi Fraenkel
(Redirected from Mathematician:Abraham A. Fraenkel)Jump to navigation Jump to search
German-born Israeli Hungarian mathematician best known for his work on axiomatic set theory.
He improved Ernst Zermelo's axiomatic system, and out of that work came the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms.
He also wrote on topics in the history of mathematics.
Israeli; born in Germany
- Born: February 17, 1891 Munich, Germany
- Died: October 15, 1965 Jerusalem, Israel
Theorems and Definitions
- Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms:
- Zermelo-Fraenkel-Skolem Set Theory (with Ernst Friedrich Ferdinand Zermelo and Thoralf Albert Skolem)
Results named for Abraham Halevi Fraenkel can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Abraham Halevi Fraenkel can be found here.
Axioms named for Abraham Halevi Fraenkel can be found here.
- 1908: Bestimmung des Datums des jüdischen Osterfestes für die Zeitrechnung der Mohammedaner
- 1909: Eine Formel zur Verwandlung jüdischer Daten in mohammedanische
- 1910: Die Berechnung des Osterfestes
- 1915: Über die Teiler der Null und die Zerlegung von Ringen
- 1919: Einleitung in die Mengenlehre
- 1922: The notion of 'definite' and the independence of the axiom of choice
- 1938: Historical introduction to Axiomatic Set Theory by Paul Bernays
- 1953: Abstract Set Theory
- 1958: Foundations of Set Theory (with Yehoshua Bar-Hillel)
- 1960: Jewish mathematics and astronomy
- 1966: Set Theory and Logic
- 1967: Lebenskreise: Aus den Erinnerungen eines jüdischen Mathematikers
- 1973: Foundations of Set Theory, 2nd Ed. (with Yehoshua Bar-Hillel, Azriel Lévy and Dirk van Dalen)
Also known as
In Hebrew: אברהם הלוי (אדולף) פרנקל
Originally known as Adolf, changed his name to Abraham when he moved to Palestine.
Hence some of his works can be found under the name Abraham Adolf Fraenkel, or A.A. Fraenkel.