Mathematician:Alicia Boole Stott
Irish-English mathematician who made substantial contributions to the field of four-dimensional geometry, which she famously grasped at a very early age.
Coined the word polytope.
Irish (then part of Great Britain), later English.
- Born: 8 June 1860 in Cork, Ireland
- 1914: Awarded honorary doctorate from the University of Groningen
- Died: 17 December 1940 in Highgate Middlesex, England
Theorems and Definitions
- 1900: On certain series of sections of the regular four-dimensional hypersolids
- 1907: On Models of 3-dimensional sections of regular hypersolids in space of 4 dimensions (with Pieter Hendrik Schoute)
- 1908: On the sections of a block of eight-cells by a space rotating about a plane (with Pieter Hendrik Schoute)
- 1910: Over wederkeerigheid in verband met halfregelmatige polytopen en netten (with Pieter Hendrik Schoute)
- 1910: Geometrical deduction of semiregular from regular polytopes and space fillings (Verhandelingen van de Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen, Verhandelingen Natuurkunde, Eerste Sectie Vol. 11, no. 1: 1 – 24)
Also known as
Known informally to her friends as Alice.