American mathematician and logician who has been called "The founding father of modern abstract algebra".
He also contributed to many other areas of mathematics.
Father of Charles Sanders Peirce.
Not to be confused with Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce.
- Born: 4 April 1809, Salem, Massachusetts, USA
- Died: 6 Oct 1880, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- 1835: An Elementary Treatise on Plane Trigonometry
- 1836: First Part of an Elementary Treatise on Spherical Trigonometry
- 1836: An Elementary Treatise on Sound
- 1837: An Elementary Treatise on Algebra : To which are added Exponential Equations and Logarithms
- 1837: An Elementary Treatise on Plane and Solid Geometry
- 1840: An Elementary Treatise on Plane and Spherical Trigonometry
- 1841: An Elementary Treatise on Curves, Functions, and Forces, Volume 1
- 1846: An Elementary Treatise on Curves, Functions, and Forces, Volume 2
- 1855: Physical and Celestial Mathematics
- 1870: Linear Associative Algebra
- 1899: A Short Table of Integrals (2nd Edition)