Mathematician:Benoît B. Mandelbrot
French-American mathematician of Polish origin famous for his work on fractals.
The Mandelbrot set is named for him.
The middle B in his name was chosen by him. It doesn't stand for anything.
Nephew of Szolem Mandelbrojt.
Polish, later French-American
- Born: 20 Nov 1924, Warsaw, Poland
- Died: 14 Oct 2010, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- 1967: How Long Is the Coast of Britain? Statistical Self-Similarity and Fractional Dimension
- 1977: Fractals: Form, Chance and Dimension
- 1982: The Fractal Geometry of Nature (revised and enlarged version of Fractals: Form, Chance and Dimension)
Also known as
His name is sometimes seen reported without the circumflex: Benoit B. Mandelbrot.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Benoît B. Mandelbrot": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Mandelbrot, Benoît (1924-2010)