Mathematician:Bernhard Hermann Neumann
Jump to navigation Jump to search
German-born mathematician who was one of the leaders in the field of group theory.
- Born: 15 October 1909, Berlin, Germany
- 1933: Moved to Cambridge, UK, via Amsterdam.
- 1938: Married Hanna Neumann.
- 1959: Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of London.
- 1962: Moved to Australia.
- 1963: Elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Sciences.
- 1994: Appointed a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC).
- Died: 20 October 2002, Canberra, Australia
Theorems and Definitions
- 1949: Embedding theorems for groups (with Graham Higman and Hanna Neumann)
- 1960: Lectures on topics in the theory of infinite groups
- 1973: Byron's daughter (biography about Ada Lovelace)