Mathematician:Carl David Tolmé Runge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
German mathematician, physicist, and spectroscopist.
Also known for his work on the Zeeman effect.
His daughter Nerina married Richard Courant.
- Born: 30 August 1856 in Bremen, Germany
- Died: 3 January 1927 in Göttingen, Germany
Theorems and Definitions
- Runge-Kutta Methods (with Martin Wilhelm Kutta), including:
- Runge's Phenomenon
- Runge's Method for Diophantine Equations
- Laplace-Runge-Lenz Vector (with Pierre-Simon de Laplace and Wilhelm Lenz)
- Runge's Theorem
Results named for Carl David Tolmé Runge can be found here.
Books and Papers
- 1880: Ueber die Krümmung, Torsion und geodätische Krümmung der auf einer Fläche gezogenen Curven
- 1908: Analytische Geometrie der Ebene
- 1912: Graphical methods (course of lectures delivered in Columbia university, New York, October, 1909, to January, 1910)
- 1924: Vorlesungen über numerisches Rechnen (with Hermann König)
- 1928: Graphische Methoden (Teubner, 1928)
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Carl David Tolmé Runge": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive