Mathematician:Derrick Henry Lehmer
Derrick Henry ("Dick") Lehmer was an American mathematician active mainly in the field of number theory.
Factorised Jevons' number.
One of the victims of the McCarthy witch-hunt.
- Born: February 23, 1905
- Died: May 22, 1991
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Derrick Henry Lehmer can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Derrick Henry Lehmer can be found here.
- 1930: An Extended Theory of Lucas' Functions (PhD thesis)
- 1941: On the first case of Fermat's Last Theorem (with Emma Lehmer)
- Jul. 1947: Recent Mathematical Tables (Mathematical Tables and Other Aids to Computation Vol. 2, no. 19: 297 – 311) www.jstor.org/stable/2002589
- 1983: Factorization of $b^n \pm 1, b = 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12$ up to high powers (Contemporary Mathematics Vol. 12 (with John Brillhart, Samuel S. Wagstaff Jr., John L. Selfridge and Bryant Tuckerman)
- General rules for programming have been discovered. Most of them have been used in the Kansas City freight yards for a long time.
- --Quoted at the end of Section 2.6 of 1968: Donald E. Knuth: The Art of Computer Programming: Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms