Mathematician:Edmund Taylor Whittaker
(Redirected from Mathematician:E.T. Whittaker)Jump to navigation Jump to search
English mathematician who contributed widely to applied mathematics, mathematical physics and the theory of special functions.
Principally interested in numerical analysis.
Worked on celestial mechanics and the history of physics.
- Born: 24 October 1873 in Southport, Lancashire, England
- Died: 24 March 1956 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Theorems and Definitions
- 1902: A Course of Modern Analysis
- 1910: A History of the Theories of Aether and Electricity, from the Age of Descartes to the Close of the Nineteenth Century
- 1915: A Course of Modern Analysis, 2nd ed. (with G.N. Watson)
- 1920: A Course of Modern Analysis, 3rd ed. (with G.N. Watson)
- 1924: The Calculus of Observations: a treatise on numerical mathematics
- 1927: A Course of Modern Analysis, 4th ed. (with G.N. Watson)
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Edmund Taylor Whittaker": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive