Mathematician:Edmund Georg Hermann Landau
Suffered, as did (and still do) so many others, at the hands of the Nazi regime.
What made this particularly poignant is that a considerable amount of his persecution was at the hands of one of his students, Oswald Teichmüller.
- Born: 14 February 1877 in Berlin, Germany
- Died: 19 February 1938 in Berlin, Germany
Theorems and Definitions
- Landau's Constant
- Landau's Function
- Landau's Theorem
- Landau Prime Ideal Theorem
- Landau's Problem on the Dirichlet Eta Function
- Landau's Problems
- Landau's Symbol (Big O Notation)
- Landau-Kolmogorov Inequality (with Andrey Nikolaevich Kolmogorov)
- Landau-Ramanujan Constant (with Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan)
- Landau-Siegel Zero (with Carl Ludwig Siegel) (also known as Siegel Zero)
Results named for Edmund Georg Hermann Landau can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Edmund Georg Hermann Landau can be found here.
- 1908: Über die Einteilung der positiven ganzen Zahlen in vier Klassen nach der Mindeszahl der zu ihrer additiven Zusammensetzung erforderlichen Quadrate (Arch. Math. Phys Vol. 13: pp. 305 – 312)
- 1909: Handbuch der Lehre von der Verteilung der Primzahlen (2 volumes)
- 1927: Vorlesungen über Zahlentheorie (Lectures on Number Theory)
- 1930: Grundlagen der Analysis
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Edmund Georg Hermann Landau": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive