Mathematician:Edward M. Reingold
Jump to navigation Jump to search
American computer scientist active in the fields of algorithms, data structures, graph drawing, and calendrical calculations.
Inventor of the notation $\lg x$ as a convenient notation for $\log_2 x$.
- Born: 1945
- 1996: Inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery
- 2000: Retired from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Took a position as professor of computer science and applied mathematics at Illinois Institute of Technology.
Theorems and Definitions
- 1975 -- 1976: Tiling with Incomparable Rectangles (Journal of Recreational Mathematics Vol. 8: pp. 112 – 119) (with A.C.C. Yao and B. Sands)
- 1981 Tidier Drawings of Trees (with John Tilford) (in which the Reingold-Tilford Algorithm is introduced)
- 1997: Calendrical Calculations (with Nachum Dershowitz) (3rd edition 2007)