Mathematician:Emil Leon Post
(Redirected from Mathematician:Emil L. Post)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Polish-born American mathematician and logician.
Best known for his work in the field of computability theory.
Polish, later American
- Born: 11 February 1897 in Augustów, Russian Empire (now Poland)
- Died: 21 April 1954 in New York, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- 1921: Introduction to a General Theory of Elementary Propositions (Amer. J. Math. Vol. 43: pp. 163 – 185) www.jstor.org/stable/2370324
- 1936: Finite Combinatory Processes – Formulation 1 (J. Symb. Logic Vol. 1: pp. 103 – 105) www.jstor.org/stable/2269031
- 1940: Polyadic groups (Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 48: pp. 208 – 350) www.jstor.org/stable/1990085
- 1943: Formal Reductions of the General Combinatorial Decision Problem (Amer. J. Math. Vol. 65: pp. 197 – 215) www.jstor.org/stable/2371809
- 1944: Recursively enumerable sets of positive integers and their decision problems (Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 50: pp. 284 – 316) Introduces the important concept of many-one reduction.
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Post, Emil Leon (1897-1954)