Mathematician:Henri Léon Lebesgue
French mathematician famous mainly for his work on the theory of integral calculus.
Not to be confused with Victor-Amédée Lebesgue.
- Born: June 28, 1875, Beauvais
- Died: July 26, 1941, Paris
Theorems and Definitions
- Lebesgue-Stieltjes Integral (with Thomas Joannes Stieltjes)
- Blaschke-Lebesgue Theorem (with Wilhelm Johann Eugen Blaschke) (also known as Blaschke's Theorem)
- Fatou-Lebesgue Theorem (with Pierre Joseph Louis Fatou)
- Riemann-Lebesgue Lemma (with Bernhard Riemann)
- Riemann-Lebesgue Theorem (with Bernhard Riemann)
- Walsh-Lebesgue Theorem (with Joseph Leonard Walsh)
Results named for Henri Léon Lebesgue can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Henri Léon Lebesgue can be found here.
- 1898: Sur l'approximation des fonctions ("On the approximation of functions")
- 1901: Sur une généralisation de l'intégrale définie ("On a generalization of the definite integral") (in which the Lebesgue Integral was introduced)
- 1902: Intégrale, longueur, aire
- 1904: Leçons sur l'intégration et la recherche des fonctions primitives
- 1906: Leçons sur les séries trigonométriques
- 1910: Représentation trigonométrique approchée des fonctions satisfaisant a une condition de Lipschitz ("Trigonometrical representation approaching functions satisfies a condition of Lipschitz")
- 1922: Notice sur les travaux scientifique de M Henri Lebesgue
- In my opinion a mathematician, in so far as he is a mathematician, need not preoccupy himself with philosophy -- an opinion, moreover, which has been expressed by many philosophers. (1936)
Also known as
His name is sometimes seen rendered as Lebesque, but this appears to be a mistake.
Some sources render his first names as hyphenated: Henri-Léon.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Henri Léon Lebesgue": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 1937: Eric Temple Bell: Men of Mathematics ... (previous) ... (next): They Say: What Say They? : Let Them Say
- 1989: Ephraim J. Borowski and Jonathan M. Borwein: Dictionary of Mathematics ... (previous) ... (next): Lebesgue, Henri-Léon (1875-1941)
- 1991: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Geometry ... (previous) ... (next): A Chronological List Of Mathematicians
- 1998: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Lebesgue, Henri-Léon (1875-1941)
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Lebesgue, Henri-Léon (1875-1941)
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Lebesgue, Henri-Léon (1875-1941)