Canadian mathematician who made major contributions to group theory, ring theory, the theory of operator algebras and field theory.
Father of folk musician and clinical psychiatrist Lucy Kaplansky.
- Born: 22 March 1917 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Died: 25 June 2006 in Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, California, USA
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Irving Kaplansky can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Irving Kaplansky can be found here.
- 1945: A Contribution to von Neumann's Theory of Games (Ann. Math. Vol. 46: 474 – 479)
- 1957: An introduction to differential algebra
- 1970: Commutative Rings
- 1971: Lie algebras and locally compact groups
- 1972: Set Theory and Metric Spaces