Mathematician:John Maynard Smith
(Redirected from Mathematician:J. Maynard Smith)Jump to navigation Jump to search
English theoretical evolutionary biologist and geneticist.
Originally an aeronautical engineer during the Second World War.
Instrumental in the application of game theory to evolution.
- Born: 6 January 1920 in London, England
- Died: 19 April 2004 in Lewes, East Sussex, England
- 1958: The Theory of Evolution
- 1968: Mathematical Ideas in Biology
- 1972: On Evolution
- 1973: The Logic of Animal Conflict (with George Robert Price)
- 1974: Models in Ecology
- 1978: The Evolution of Sex
- 1981: Evolution Now (as editor)
- 1982: Evolution and the Theory of Games
- 1986: The Problems of Biology
- 1988: Did Darwin Get it Right?: Essays on Games, Sex and Evolution
- 1989: Evolutionary Genetics
- 1997: The Major Transitions in Evolution (with Eörs Szathmáry)
- 1999: The Origins of Life: From the Birth of Life to the Origin of Language (with Eörs Szathmáry)
- 2003: Animal Signals (with David George Charles Harper)