French mathematician who contributed to to geometry and mathematical analysis.
Did considerable important work on linear partial differential equations.
- Born: 14 Aug 1842 in Nimes, Gard, Languedoc, France
- 1866: Received Ph.D. from the École Normale Supérieure
- 1884: Elected to the Académie des Sciences
- 1900: Appointed the Academy's permanent secretary of its Mathematics section
- Died: 23 Feb 1917 in Paris, France
Theorems and Definitions
- Darboux Equation
- Darboux Frame
- Darboux Function
- Darboux Integral
- Darboux Net Invariants
- Darboux Problem
- Darboux's Theorem (Symplectic Geometry)
- Darboux's Theorem (Analysis), related to Intermediate Value Theorem
- Christoffel-Darboux Identity (with Elwin Bruno Christoffel)
- Christoffel-Darboux Formula (with Elwin Bruno Christoffel)
- Darboux's Formula
- Darboux Vector
- Euler-Darboux Equation (with Leonhard Paul Euler)
- Euler-Poisson-Darboux Equation (with Leonhard Paul Euler and Siméon-Denis Poisson)
- Darboux Cubic
- Darboux Problem (also known as a Goursat problem for Édouard Jean-Baptiste Goursat)
- Darboux Transformation
Results named for Jean-Gaston Darboux can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Jean-Gaston Darboux can be found here.
- 1866: Sur les Surfaces Orthogonales
- 1896: Leçons sur la Théorie Général des Surfaces et les Applications Géométriques du Calcul Infinitésimal (4 volumes)