Mathematician:Johannes van Waveren Hudde
Dutch mathematician, who was also at one time the mayor of Amsterdam and governor of the Dutch East India Company.
Organised the regulation of the waterways of Amsterdam, in the process making major steps towards improvements in sanitation.
- Born: 23 April 1628, Amsterdam, Holland (now Netherlands)
- Died: 15 April 1704, Amsterdam, Holland (now Netherlands)
Theorems and Definitions
- 1656: Specilla circularia etc.
- 1658: Epistola Secunda, de Maximis et Minimis (The Second Letter, concerning Maxima and Minima)
- 1661: Volume 2 of the Expansion of Frans van Schooten's commentaries on La Géométrie by René Descartes (with Johan de Witt and Hendrik van Heuraet)
Also known as
Usually referred to as Johannes Hudde, but also rendered Johann Hudde or Jan Hudde.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Johannes van Waveren Hudde": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive