Mathematician:John Wilder Tukey
American mathematician working mainly in the field of statistics.
Made contributions in the fields of nonparametric methods, robustness studies and interpretation of computer graphics.
Best known for development of the FFT algorithm.
- Born: June 16, 1915, New Bedford, Massachusetts, USA
- Died: July 26, 2000, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Theorems and Inventions
- Tukey Range Test
- Tukey Lambda Distribution
- Tukey Test of Additivity
- Teichmüller-Tukey Lemma (also known as Tukey-Teichmüller Lemma and Tukey's Lemma) (with Oswald Teichmüller)
- Restricted Tukey-Teichmüller Theorem (with Oswald Teichmüller)
Results named for John Wilder Tukey can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for John Wilder Tukey can be found here.
- 1940: Convergence and Uniformity in Topology
- 1963: The Examination and Analysis of Residuals (Technometrics Vol. 5: 141 – 160) (with F.J. Anscombe)
- 1977: Exploratory Data Analysis
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "John Wilder Tukey": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive