Mathematician:Karl Johannes Herbert Seifert
Collaborated extensively with William Threlfall.
One of the few who managed to weather the 2nd World War without upsetting either the Nazis or the Allies.
Not to be confused with Carl Keenan Seyfert (1911 – 1960), the American astronomer.
- Born: May 27, 1907 in Bernstadt, Saxony
- Died: 1 Oct 1996 in Heidelberg, Germany
Theorems and Definitions
- Seifert Algorithm
- Seifert Matrix
- Seifert Surface
- Seifert Fiber Space
- Seifert-van Kampen Theorem (with Egbert Rudolf van Kampen)
- Seifert Conjecture
- Seifert-Weber Space (with Constantin Weber)
Results named for Karl Johannes Herbert Seifert can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Karl Johannes Herbert Seifert can be found here.
- 1932: Topologie 3-dimensionaler gefaserter Räume (Topology of 3-dimensional fibred spaces) (Ph.D. Dissertation)
- 1933: Continuous vector fields
- 1934: Lehrbuch der Topologie (Lectures on Topology) (with William Threlfall)
- 1938: Variationsrechnung Im Grossen (Variational Calculus in the Large) (with William Threlfall)
Also known as
Usually known as Herbert Seifert.
Sometimes reported as Herbert Karl Johannes Seifert.