Mathematician:Ludolph van Ceulen
German-Dutch mathematician best known for his calculation of the the value of $\pi$.
The Ludolphine number is the expression of the value of $\pi$ to $35$ decimal places:
- $3 \cdotp 14159 \, 26535 \, 89793 \, 23846 \, 26433 \, 83279 \, 50288 \ldots$
Dutch, of German origin
- Born: 28th January 1540 in Hildesheim, Bishopric of Hildesheim, Holy Roman Empire
- Died: 31 December 1610 in Leiden, Dutch Republic
Theorems and Definitions
Definitions of concepts named for Ludolph van Ceulen can be found here.
- 1596: Van den Circkel ("On the Circle")
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Ludolph van Ceulen": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive