Mathematician:Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot
French military scientist and physicist, often described as the "father of thermodynamics".
Published the first successful theory of the maximum efficiency of heat engines.
Died young, in a cholera epidemic, and most of his possessions were buried with him.
Hence little remains of his intellectual legacy.
- Born: 1 June 1796 in Paris, France
- Died: 24 August 1832 in Paris, France
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot can be found here.
- 1824: Réflexions sur la puissance motrice du feu et sur les machines propres à développer cette puissance
- 1890: Reflections on the Motive Power of Fire (translation of Réflexions sur la puissance motrice du feu et sur les machines propres à développer cette puissance)
Also known as
Usually known by his third name: Sadi Carnot.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive