Mathematician:Nicolaus I Bernoulli
- Born: 21 Oct 1687, Basel, Switzerland
- Died: 29 Nov 1759, Basel, Switzerland
- The St. Petersburg Paradox
- The Basel Problem
- Closed Form for Number of Derangements on Finite Set (later independently solved by Leonhard Paul Euler)
- Assisted in the publication of Jacob Bernoulli's Ars Conjectandi.
- Edited Jacob Bernoulli's complete works.
Also known as
Nicolaus I Bernoulli is also known as Nicolas Bernoulli.
Some sources spell the name Nikolaus.
1937: Eric Temple Bell: Men of Mathematics refers to Nicolaus I Bernoulli as Nicolaus II Bernoulli, which appears to arise from a confusion between Nicolaus Bernoulli (1662 – 1716) and Nicolaus II Bernoulli (1695 – 1726).
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Nicolaus I Bernoulli": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 1971: Allan Clark: Elements of Abstract Algebra ... (previous) ... (next): Chapter $2$: The Symmetric Groups: $\S 78 \alpha$
- 1986: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Numbers ... (previous) ... (next): A List of Mathematicians in Chronological Sequence
- 1997: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Numbers (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): A List of Mathematicians in Chronological Sequence
- 2008: Ian Stewart: Taming the Infinite ... (previous) ... (next): Chapter $6$: Curves and Coordinates: Cartesian coordinates