Mathematician:Norman Earl Steenrod
(Redirected from Mathematician:Norman E. Steenrod)Jump to navigation Jump to search
American mathematician most widely known for his contributions to the field of algebraic topology.
- Born: April 22, 1910 in Dayton, Ohio
- Died: 14 October 1971 in Princeton, New Jersey
Theorems and Definitions
Definitions of concepts named for Norman Earl Steenrod can be found here.
Axioms named for Norman Earl Steenrod can be found here.
- 1939: The group of isometries of a Riemannian manifold (Ann. Math. Ser. 2 Vol. 40, no. 2: pp. 400 – 416) (with S.B. Myers) www.jstor.org/stable/1968928
- 1943: Homology with local coefficients (Ann. Math. Vol. 44, no. 4: pp. 610 – 627)
- 1945: Axiomatic approach to homology theory (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A Vol. 31, no. 4: pp. 117 – 120) (with Samuel Eilenberg)
- 1947: Products of cocycles and extensions of mappings (Ann. Math. Vol. 48, no. 2: pp. 290 – 320)
- 1962: Cohomology Operations (Ann. Math. Studies Vol. 50)
- 1966: First Concepts of Topology (with W.G. Chinn)