Persian mathematician better known nowadays for his poetry.
Noted for being one of the first to discuss in print what is now known as Pascal's Triangle.
- Born: 18 May 1048, Nishapur, then a Seljuk capital in Khorasan, Persia (now Iran).
- Died: 4 Dec 1131, Nishapur
Theorems and Definitions
- 1070: Treatise on Demonstration of Problems of Algebra (in which he discussed binomial coefficients and Pascal's Triangle.
- c. 1075: On the Proofs of the Problems of Algebra and Muqabala (in which he classified cubic equations into $14$ kinds and solved them all using conics)
- 1077: Sharh ma ashkala min musadarat kitab Uqlidis ("Explanations of the Difficulties in the Postulates of Euclid") published in English as On the Difficulties of Euclid's Definitions.
- Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám
Also known as
Full name: Ghiyath al-Din Abu'l-Fath Umar ibn Ibrahim Al-Nishapuri al-Khayyami (Persian: غیاث الدین ابو الفتح عمر بن ابراهیم خیام نیشاپوری) .