American mathematician, geometer and topologist, whose work found application in atomic physics and the theory of relativity.
Proved the Jordan Curve Theorem in 1905.
- Born: 24 June 1880 in Decorah, Iowa, USA
- Died: 10 August 1960 in Brooklyn, Maine, USA
Theorems and Definitions
Proved the Jordan Curve Theorem.
Results named for Oswald Veblen can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Oswald Veblen can be found here.
- 1903: A System of Axioms for Geometry
- 1906: Finite projective geometries with W. H. Bussey)
- 1907: Introduction to infinitesimal analysis; functions of one real variable (with N. J. Lennes)
- 1907: Non-Desarguesian and non-Pascalian geometries (with Joseph Wedderburn)
- 1910: Projective Geometry, Volume 1 (with John Wesley Young)
- 1918: Projective Geometry, Volume 2
- 1922: Analysis Situs (2nd ed. 1931)
- 1927: Invariants of Quadratic Differential Forms
- 1932: The Foundations of Differential Geometry (with J.H.C. Whitehead)
- 1933: Projektive Relativitätstheorie