American mathematician, geometer and topologist, whose work found application in atomic physics and the theory of relativity.
Proved the Jordan Curve Theorem in 1905.
- Born: 24 June 1880 in Decorah, Iowa, USA
- Died: 10 August 1960 in Brooklyn, Maine, USA
Theorems and Definitions
Proved the Jordan Curve Theorem.
- 1903: A System of Axioms for Geometry
- 1906: Finite projective geometries with W. H. Bussey)
- 1907: Introduction to infinitesimal analysis; functions of one real variable (with N. J. Lennes)
- 1907: Non-Desarguesian and non-Pascalian geometries (with Joseph Wedderburn)
- 1910: Projective Geometry, Volume 1 (with John Wesley Young)
- 1918: Projective Geometry, Volume 2
- 1922: Analysis Situs (2nd ed. 1931)
- 1927: Invariants of Quadratic Differential Forms
- 1932: The Foundations of Differential Geometry (with J.H.C. Whitehead)
- 1933: Projektive Relativitätstheorie