American mathematician who worked mainly in the areas of geometric topology and continuum theory.
- Born: 20 October 1914 in Oakwood, Texas, USA
- Died: 28 April 1986 in Austin, Texas, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- 1948: A Homogeneous Indecomposable Plane Continuum (Duke Math. J. Vol. 15: pp. 729 – 742)
- 1953: A Connected, Countable Hausdorff Space (Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 4: p. 474) www.jstor.org/stable/2032155
- 1960: Elementary Point Set Topology (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 67, no. 7 Part 2: pp. 1 – 58) www.jstor.org/stable/i314914
- 1965: A Translation of the Normal Moore Space Conjecture (Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 16: pp. 612 – 619) www.jstor.org/stable/2033890
- 1967: Challenging Conjectures (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 74, no. 1 / 2: pp. 56 – 64) www.jstor.org/stable/2314868
Also known as
R.H. Bing was to have been named after his father, Rupert Henry, which Bing's mother thought was too British for Texas.
She compromised by abbreviating it to R.H.