Mathematician:Solomon Wolf Golomb
American mathematician, engineer and professor of electrical engineering at the University of Southern California, best known for his works on mathematical games.
Invented Cheskers in $1948$ and coined the name.
Fully described polyominoes and pentominoes in $1953$
Specialized in problems of combinatorial analysis, number theory, coding theory and communications.
His game of Pentomino inspired Tetris.
- Born: 30 May 1932 in Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.
- Died: 1 May 2016 in Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Golomb Sequence
- Golomb Coding
- Golomb Ruler
- Lempel-Golomb Generation Method (with Abraham Lempel)
- 1965: Backtrack Programming (Journal of the ACM Vol. 12, no. 4: pp. 516 – 524) (with Leonard D. Baumert)
- May 1965: 3121. A Geometric Proof of a Famous Identity (Math. Gazette Vol. 49, no. 368: pp. 198 – 200) www.jstor.org/stable/3612319
- 1987: E3137 (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 94, no. 9: pp. 883 – 884) (with Kee-Wai Lau) www.jstor.org/stable/2322829