Mathematician:Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan
Indian mathematician who made substantial contributions to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series and continued fractions.
- Born: 22 Dec 1887, Erode, Tamil Nadu state, India
- Died: 26 April 1920, Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu state, India
Theorems and Definitions
- Dougall-Ramanujan Identity (with John Dougall)
- Hardy-Ramanujan Number (with Godfrey Harold Hardy)
- Landau-Ramanujan Constant (independently of Edmund Georg Hermann Landau)
- Ramanujan's Congruences
- Ramanujan-Nagell Equation (with Trygve Nagell)
- Ramanujan-Nagell Number (with Trygve Nagell)
- Ramanujan-Peterssen Conjecture (with Hans Petersson)
- Ramanujan-Skolem's Theorem (with Thoralf Albert Skolem)
- Ramanujan-Soldner Constant (with Johann Georg von Soldner)
- Ramanujan Summation
- Ramanujan Theta Function
- Ramanujan Graph
- Ramanujan's Tau Function
- Ramanujan Prime
- Ramanujan's Constant
- Ramanujan's Infinite Nested Roots
- Ramanujan Sum
- Rogers-Ramanujan Identities (independently of Leonard James Rogers)
- Rogers-Ramanujan Continued Fraction (independently of Leonard James Rogers)
Results named for Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan can be found here.
Also known as
The name can also be rendered Srīnivāsa Aiyangār Rāmānujan.
In Tamil: சீனிவாச இராமானுஜன் or ஸ்ரீனிவாஸ ஐயங்கார் ராமானுஜன்.
Also rendered as Srinivasa Iyengar Ramanujan.
Some sources give him as Srinivasa Ramanujan Aiyangar.
Some render the middle name as Aaiyangar.
His name is also seen rendered as Ramanujam: the final letter of such names is ambiguous in Tamil.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 1986: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Numbers ... (previous) ... (next): A List of Mathematicians in Chronological Sequence
- 1989: Ephraim J. Borowski and Jonathan M. Borwein: Dictionary of Mathematics ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Ramanujan, Srinivasa (1887-1920)
- 1997: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Numbers (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): A List of Mathematicians in Chronological Sequence
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Ramanujan, Srinivasa Aaiyangar (1887-1920)
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Ramanujan, Srinivasa (1887-1920)