English mathematician credited with the invention of the slide rule.
Experimented with notations in his famously compact writings, inventing some new symbology which stuck, notably $\times$, $\sin$ and $\cos$.
- Born: 5 March 1574, Eton, Buckinghamshire, England
- Died: 30 June 1660, Albury, Surrey, England
- 1631: Clavis Mathematicae
- 1632: Circles of Proportion and the Horizontal Instrument
- 1657: Trigonometrie
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "William Oughtred": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive