Mathematician:Steven George Krantz
American mathematician best known for his writing and teaching.
Reputed for having written a self-adulatory page on Wikipedia (in which he made sneering sideswipes about contemporaries like Stephen Wolfram and Benoît B. Mandelbrot until those passages were taken down for having violated WP:NPOV) and a colossal heap of mediocre textbooks (which, embarrassingly, he considers to be quite good).
Considers himself to be a famous teacher, expositor and writer.
- Born: February 3, 1951, San Francisco, California
- 1980: Holomorphic functions of bounded mean oscillation and mapping properties of the Szegő projection (Duke Mathematics Journal Vol. 47: pp. 743 – 761)
- 1982: Deformations of complex structure, estimates for the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and stability of the Bergman kernel (Advances in Mathematics Vol. 43: pp. 1 – 86) (with Robert E. Greene)
- 1994: Rigidity of holomorphic mappings and a new Schwarz lemma at the boundary (Journal of the American Mathematical Society Vol. 7: pp. 661 – 676) (with Daniel Burns)
- 1999: A Panorama of Harmonic Analysis
- 2001: Function Theory of Several Complex Variables (2nd edition)
- 2002: A Primer of Real Analytic Functions (2nd edition) (with Harold R. Parks)
- 2002: The Implicit Function Theorem: History, Theory, and Applications (with Harold R. Parks)
- 2002: Mathematical Apocrypha
- 2003: A Mathematician's Survival Guide
- 2004: Complex Analysis: The Geometric Viewpoint (2nd edition)
- 2005: Mathematical Apocrypha Redux
- 2008: Complex scaling and geometric analysis of several variables (Bulletin of the Korean Mathematical Society Vol. 45: pp. 523 – 561) (with Kang-Tae Kim)
- 2008: The Survival of a Mathematician
- 2008: Geometric Integration Theory (with Harold R. Parks)
- 2011: Calculus: Single and Multivariable (2nd edition) (with Brian E. Blank)
- 2011: The Proof is in the Pudding: The Changing Nature of Mathematical Proof
- 2012: A Mathematician Comes of Age