Book:Ben Goldacre/Bad Science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ben Goldacre: Bad Science
Published $2008$, 4th Estate
- ISBN 978-0-00-728487-0.
- The misrepresentation and dangerous dumbing-down of science in the media, and the ongoing use of bullshit in order to turn what would otherwise be a non-story into a sensationalistic pack of lies. Also includes sufficient background knowledge to inform the reader how to detect and debunk these fibs.
Includes a chapter dedicated to the misuse of statistics.
- 1. Matter
- 2. Brain Gym
- 3. The Progenium XY Complex
- 4. Homeopathy
- 5. The Placebo Effect
- 6. The Nonsense du jour
- 7. Dr Gillian McKeith PhD
- 8. 'Pill Solves Complex Social Problem'
- 9. Professor Patrick Holford
- 10. The Doctor Will Sue You Now
- 11. Is Mainstream Medicine Evil?
- 12. How the Media Promote the Public Misunderstanding of Science
- 13. Why Clever People Believe Stupid Things
- 14. Bad Stats
- 15. Health Scares
- 16. The Media's MMR Hoax
- And Another Thing
- Further Reading and Acknowledgements