Book:David Joyner/Adventures in Group Theory
David Joyner: Adventures in Group Theory
Published $2002$, The Johns Hopkins University Press
- ISBN 0-8018-9012-8.
- Where to begin ...
- Chapter 1 Elementary, my dear Watson
- Chapter 2 'And you do addition?'
- Chapter 3 Bell ringing and other permutations
- Chapter 4 A procession of permutation puzzles
- Chapter 5 What's commutative and purple?
- Chapter 6 Welcome to the machine
- Chapter 7 'God's algorithm' and graphs
- Chapter 8 Symmetry and the Platonic solids
- Chapter 9 The illegal cube group
- Chapter 10 Words which move
- Chapter 11 The (legal) Rubik's Cube group
- Chapter 12 Squares, two-faces, and other subgroups
- Chapter 13 Other Rubik-like puzzle groups
- Chapter 14 Crossing the Rubicon
- Chapter 15 Some solution strategies
- Chapter 16 Coda: Questions and other directions