Definition:Differential Equation/Solution/General Solution
Let $\Phi$ be a differential equation.
Also known as
The term solution set is sometimes encountered.
- Definition:Solution of Differential Equation
- Definition:Particular Solution of Differential Equation
The general solution to a differential equation was formerly known as the complete integral, or complete integral equation.
The Latin term used by Leonhard Paul Euler was æquatio integralis completa.
However, the term integral equation is now used to mean something completely different, and should not be used in this context.
- 1926: E.L. Ince: Ordinary Differential Equations ... (previous) ... (next): Chapter $\text I$: Introductory: $\S 1.2$ Genesis of an Ordinary Differential Equation
- 1972: George F. Simmons: Differential Equations ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.2$: General Remarks on Solutions
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: differential equation