Henry Ernest Dudeney/Modern Puzzles/13 - Find the Coins
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Modern Puzzles by Henry Ernest Dudeney: $13$
- Find the Coins
- Three men, Abel, Best and Crewe, possessed money, all in silver coins.
- Abel had one coin fewer than Best and one more than Crewe.
- Abel gave Best and Crewe as much money as they already had,
- then Best gave Abel and Crewe the same amount of money as they they held,
- and finally Crewe gave Abel and Best as much money as they then had.
- Each man then held exactly $10$ shillings.
- To find what amount each man started with is not difficult.
- But the sting of the puzzle is in the tail.
- Each man held exactly the same coins (the fewest possible) amounting to $10$ shillings.
- What were the coins and how were they originally distributed?