One of the early founders of lattice theory.
Also known for writing and editing several books, including a few on various aspects of the history of mathematics.
- Born: 7 October 1899, Oslo, Norway
- Died: 13 August 1968, Oslo, Norway
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Øystein Ore can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Øystein Ore can be found here.
- 1924: Zur Theorie der algebraischen Körper (Ph.D. thesis)
- 1930: Collected Works of Richard Dedekind (3 vols, ed. jointly with Emmy Noether)
- 1934: Les Corps Algébriques et la Théorie des Idéaux
- 1936: L'Algèbre Abstraite
- 1939: James Pierpont — In memoriam (Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 45, no. 7: pp. 481 – 486)
- 1948: On the averages of the divisors of a number (Amer. Math. Monthly Vol. 55, no. 10: pp. 615 – 619) www.jstor.org/stable/2305616
- 1948: Number Theory and its History
- 1953: Cardano, the Gambling Scholar
- 1957: Niels Henrik Abel, Mathematician Extraordinary
- 1962: Theory of Graphs
- 1963: Graphs and Their Uses
- 1967: The Four-Color Problem
- 1969: Invitation to Number Theory
Also known as
Some sources report his name as Oystein Ore.