Jump to navigation Jump to search
Influential German mathematician who wrote some important instructional works, including sets of tables for calculations.
- Born: 17 January 1492 in Bad Staffelstein, Bavaria (now part of Germany)
- Died: March 30, 1559 in Annaberg, Saxony (now part of Germany)
- 1518: Rechnung auff der linihen: describing use of a calculating board, a kind of abacus
- 1522: Rechnung auff der linihen und federn: describing and explaining algorism
- 1524: Coß (printed in 1992): an algebra textbook, connecting between medieval and modern algebra
- 1533: Ein Gerechent Büchlein/ auff den Schöffel/ Eimer/ vnd Pfundtgewicht... (printed in 1536) (also known as Annaberger Brotordnung): calculating tables
- 1550: Rechenung nach der lenge/ auff den Linihen vnd Feder. (1550) (also known as Practica)
Also known as
His name is also rendered Adam Riese.
He himself sometimes used Risz. Ris and Ryse are also found.