Italian mathematician notable for his work concerning differential geometry and mathematical physics.
The first to prove consistency of non-Euclidean geometry by modeling it on a surface of constant curvature, the pseudosphere, and in the interior of an $n$-dimensional unit sphere.
Developed singular value decomposition for matrices, which has been subsequently rediscovered several times.
- Born: 16 November 1835 in Cremona, Lombardy, Austrian Empire (now Italy)
- Died: 18 February 1900 in Rome, Italy
Theorems and Definitions
- Beltrami-Klein Model (with Felix Christian Klein) (also known as the Cayley-Klein Model, with Arthur Cayley, the Klein Model or the Klein Disk Model)
- Beltrami Equation
- Beltrami Identity
- Beltrami's Theorem
- Laplace-Beltrami Operator (with Pierre-Simon Laplace)
- Beltrami Vector Field
Results named for Eugenio Beltrami can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Eugenio Beltrami can be found here.
- 1868: Saggio di interpretazione della geometria non-euclidea (Giornale di Matematiche Vol. VI: pp. 285 – 315)
- 1868: Teoria fondamentale degli spazii di curvatura costante (Annali di Mat. Ser. II Vol. 2: pp. 232 – 255)
- 1902 -- 1920: Opere matematiche di Eugenio Beltrami pubblicate per cura della Facoltà di scienze della r. Università di Roma (4 volumes)
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Eugenio Beltrami": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 1991: David Wells: Curious and Interesting Geometry ... (previous) ... (next): A Chronological List Of Mathematicians
- 1998: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Beltrami, Eugenio (1835-99)
- 2008: David Nelson: The Penguin Dictionary of Mathematics (4th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Beltrami, Eugenio (1835-99)
- but beware of the mistake in his date of death