American mathematician who worked mainly in topology.
- Born: 23 March 1907, New York, USA
- Died: 10 May 1989, Mount Dents Blanches, Switzerland
Theorems and Definitions
- Whitney Immersion Theorem
- Weak Whitney Immersion Theorem
- Whitney Embedding Theorem
- Loomis-Whitney Inequality (with Lynn Harold Loomis)
- McShane-Whitney Extension Theorem (with Edward James McShane)
- Stiefel-Whitney Class (with Eduard L. Stiefel)
- Whitney's Conditions A and B
- Whitney Graph Isomorphism Theorem
- Whitney Trick
- Whitney Umbrella
Results named for Hassler Whitney can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Hassler Whitney can be found here.
- 1948: On Ideals of Differentiable Functions