Mathematician:Hendrik Antoon Lorentz
Also derived the transformation equations underpinning Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.
- Born: 18 July 1853 in Arnhem, Netherlands
- Died: 4 February 1928 in Haarlem, Netherlands
Theorems and Definitions
- Lorentz Transformation
- Lorentz Ether Theory
- Lorentz Force
- Lorentz-Fitzgerald Contraction (with George Francis FitzGerald)
- Lorentzian Metric
- Lorentz Factor
- Rayleigh-Lorentz Pendulum (with Lord Rayleigh)
- Abraham-Lorentz-Dirac Force (with Max Abraham and Paul Adrien Maurice Dirac)
Results named for Hendrik Antoon Lorentz can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Hendrik Antoon Lorentz can be found here.
- 1900: Considerations on Gravitation
- 1927 -- 31: Lectures on Theoretical Physics (vol. I–III),
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Hendrik Antoon Lorentz": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive
- 2014: Christopher Clapham and James Nicholson: The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics (5th ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): Entry: Lorentz, Hendrik Antoon FRS (1853-1928)