Scottish mathematician best known for Stirling's Formula.
One of the first to study what is now known as the Gamma function.
- Born: May 1692, Garden (near Stirling), Scotland
- Died: 5 Dec 1770 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Results named for James Stirling can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for James Stirling can be found here.
- 1717: Lineae Tertii Ordinis Neutonianae
- 1719: Methodus differentialis Newtoniana illustrata
- 1730: Methodus Differentialis (in which Stirling's Formula is introduced)
Also known as
He used the Latinized form of his name Jacobo Stirling on at least some of his works.