Mathematician:Richard Wesley Hamming
(Redirected from Mathematician:R.W. Hamming)
American mathematician best known for his work on error-detecting codes.
Thus he started a new field of study within information theory.
- Born: 11 Feb 1915, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Died: 7 Jan 1998 in Monterey, California, USA
Theorems and Inventions
- 1942: Some Problems in the Boundary Value Theory of Linear Differential Equations
- 1962: Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers
- 1965: Logic By Machine
- 1968: Calculus and the Computer Revolution
- 1971: Introduction to Applied Numerical Analysis
- 1972: Computers and Society
- 1973: Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers, 2nd ed.
- 1977: Digital Filters
- 1980: Coding and Information Theory
- 1980: The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics
- 1985: Methods of Mathematics Applied to Calculus, Probability, and Statistics
- 1986: You and Your Research
- 1991: The Art of Probability for Scientists and Engineers
- 1997: The Art of Doing Science and Engineering: Learning to Learn
- The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers.