Mathematician:William Fogg Osgood
American mathematician working in complex analysis, in particular conformal mapping and uniformization of analytic functions, and calculus of variations.
Wrote on the theory of the gyroscope.
At the invitation of Felix Klein, wrote article on complex analysis in the Enzyklopädie der mathematischen Wissenschaften which was later expanded in the book Lehrbuch der Funktionentheorie.
- Born: 10 March 1864 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Died: 22 July 1943 in Belmont, Massachusetts, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Osgood Curve
- Baire-Osgood Theorem (with René-Louis Baire)
- Moore-Osgood Theorem (with Eliakim Hastings Moore)
Results named for William Fogg Osgood can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for William Fogg Osgood can be found here.
- 1890: Zur Theorie der zum algebraischen Gebilde $y^m = R (x)$ gehörigen Ableschen Functionen (doctoral thesis)
- 1897: Introduction to Infinite Series (third edition 1906)
- 1903: A Jordan Curve of Positive Area (Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. Vol. 4: 107 – 112) www.jstor.org/stable/1986455
- 1907: First Course in Differential and Integral Calculus (revised edition 1909)
- 1907: Lehrbuch der Funktionentheorie (second edition 1912)
- 1921: Plane and Solid Analytic Geometry (with W. C. Graustein)
- 1921: Elementary Calculus
- 1937: Mechanics