- the universal quantifier $\forall$
- the existential quantifier $\exists$.
Also known as
In the field of logic, a free variable can also be referred to as a real variable.
- Definition:Free Occurrence: a somewhat more precise concept, recognising the fact that a variable may appear multiple times in an expression, and not necessarily always of the same category.
- 1946: Alfred Tarski: Introduction to Logic and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.4$: Universal and Existential Quantifiers
- 1960: Paul R. Halmos: Naive Set Theory ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 2$: The Axiom of Specification
- 1972: Patrick Suppes: Axiomatic Set Theory (2nd ed.) ... (previous) ... (next): $\S 1.2$ Logic and Notation