Also the author of widely-used textbooks.
- Born: 31 March 1730 in Nemours, France
- 1758: Elected an adjoint in mechanics of the Académie des Sciences
- 1763: Appointed examiner of the Gardes de la Marine (in which post he was tasked with composing a text book for the students)
- 1768: Appointed examiner of the Corps d'Artillerie (for which he was also tasked with composing a text book)
- 1768: Promoted to associé in mechanics at the Académie des Sciences
- 1770: Promoted to pensionnaire at the Académie des Sciences
- Died: 27 September 1783 in Basses-Loges (near Fontainbleau), France
Theorems and Definitions
- Bézout's Theorem
- Little Bézout Theorem, otherwise known as the (Polynomial) Remainder Theorem
- Bézout's Identity
- Bézout's Lemma
Results named for Étienne Bézout can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Étienne Bézout can be found here.
- 1756: Dynamique
- 1757: Quantités différentielles
- 1758: Rectification des courbes
- 1764: Sur le degré des équations résultantes de l'évanouissement des inconnues
- 1764 - 1767: Cours de mathématiques à l'usage des Gardes du Pavillon et de la Marine (four volumes)
- 1770 - 1782: Cours complet de mathématiques à l'usage de la marine et de l'artillerie (six volumes)
- 1779: Théorie Générale des Équations Algébriques (contains Bézout's Theorem:
- The degree of the final equation resulting from any number of complete equations in the same number of unknowns, and of any degrees, is equal to the product of the degrees of the equations.)
Also known as
Some sources (possibly erroneously) omit the accent from the surname: Étienne Bezout.