Italian-American mathematician and philosopher who worked in combinatorics, functional analysis, probability theory, and phenomenology.
- Born: April 27, 1932 in Vigevano, Italy
- Died: April 18, 1999 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
Theorems and Definitions
- Kallman-Rota Inequality (with Robert R. Kallman)
- Rota's Conjecture
- Rota's Basis Conjecture
- Rota-Baxter Algebra (with Glen Earl Baxter)
Results named for Gian-Carlo Rota can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Gian-Carlo Rota can be found here.
- 1956: Extension Theory Of Ordinary Linear Differential Operators
- 1961: Founded the journal Advances in Mathematics
- 1962: Ordinary Differential Equations (with Garrett Birkhoff)