Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also wrote plenty of text books: his Lattice Theory (1940) is much cited.
The son of George David Birkhoff.
- Born: January 19, 1911, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
- Died: November 22, 1996, Water Mill, New York, USA
Theorems and Definitions
Results named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
- 1935: Orthogonality in linear metric spaces (Duke Math. J. Vol. 1: pp. 169 – 172)
- 1936: On the order of groups of automorphisms (with Philip Hall)
- 1941: A Survey of Modern Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1950: Hydrodynamics: A study in logic, fact, and similitude
- 1956: Lattice-ordered rings (Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 28) (with R. Pierce) (in which the Pierce-Birkhoff Conjecture was first posited)
- 1957: Jets, Wakes, and Cavities (with E. Zarantello)
- 1962: Ordinary Differential Equations (with Gian-Carlo Rota)
- 1967: Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1970: Modern Applied Algebra (with Thomas C. Bartee)
- 1973: Source Book in Classical Analysis