Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also wrote plenty of text books: his Lattice Theory (1940) is much cited.
The son of George David Birkhoff.
- Born: January 19, 1911, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
- Died: November 22, 1996, Water Mill, New York, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Birkhoff Polytope
- Birkhoff's Representation Theorem
- Birkhoff's HSP Theorem
- Pierce-Birkhoff Conjecture (with Richard S. Pierce)
Results named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
- 1936: On the order of groups of automorphisms (with Philip Hall)
- 1940: Lattice Theory, 1st ed.
- 1941: A Survey of Modern Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1948: Lattice Theory, 2nd ed.
- 1950: Hydrodynamics: A study in logic, fact, and similitude
- 1956: Lattice-ordered rings (Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 28) (with R. Pierce) (in which the Pierce-Birkhoff Conjecture was first posited)
- 1957: Jets, Wakes, and Cavities (with E. Zarantello)
- 1962: Ordinary Differential Equations (with Gian-Carlo Rota)
- 1965: A Brief Survey of Modern Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane) (second revised edition of A Survey of Modern Algebra from $1941$)
- 1967: Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1967: Lattice Theory, 3rd ed.
- 1970: Modern Applied Algebra (with Thomas C. Bartee)
- 1973: Source Book in Classical Analysis