Jump to navigation Jump to search
Also wrote plenty of text books: his Lattice Theory (1940) is much cited.
The son of George David Birkhoff.
- Born: January 19, 1911, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
- Died: November 22, 1996, Water Mill, New York, USA
Theorems and Definitions
- Birkhoff-von Neumann Theorem (with John von Neumann)
- Pierce-Birkhoff Conjecture (with Richard Scott Pierce)
Results named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
Definitions of concepts named for Garrett Birkhoff can be found here.
- 1935: Orthogonality in linear metric spaces (Duke Math. J. Vol. 1: pp. 169 – 172)
- 1936: On the order of groups of automorphisms (with Philip Hall)
- 1941: A Survey of Modern Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1946: Tres observaciones sobre el algebra lineal (Univ. Nac. Tucumn Rev Ser. A Vol. 5: pp. 147 – 151) (in which Birkhoff-von Neumann Theorem is presented)
- 1950: Hydrodynamics: A study in logic, fact, and similitude
- 1956: Lattice-ordered rings (Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 28) (with R. Pierce) (in which the Pierce-Birkhoff Conjecture was first posited)
- 1957: Jets, Wakes, and Cavities (with E. Zarantello)
- 1959: Ordinary Differential Equations (with Gian-Carlo Rota)
- 1967: Algebra (with Saunders Mac Lane)
- 1970: Modern Applied Algebra (with Thomas C. Bartee)
- 1973: Source Book in Classical Analysis