Jump to navigation Jump to search
English mathematician active in the field of group theory.
- Born: 19 Jan 1917, Louth, Lincolnshire, England
- Died: 8 April 2008, Oxford, England
Theorems and Definitions
- Higman-Sims Group, named after Donald Gordon Higman and Charles C. Sims, but studied also by Graham Higman.
- Higman's Embedding Theorem
- Higman's Lemma
- HNN Extension (named after Graham Higman, Bernhard Hermann Neumann and Hanna Neumann)
- 1940: The units of group-rings
- 1949: Embedding theorems for groups (with Bernhard Neumann and Hanna Neumann)
- 1956: On the p-Length of p-Soluble Groups and Reduction Theorems for Burnside's Problem (with Philip Hall)
- 1960: Enumerating $p$-Groups. $\text I$: Inequalities (Proc. London Math. Soc. Ser. 3 Vol. 10, no. 1: pp. 24 – 30)
- 1988: Existentially closed groups (with Elizabeth Scott)