Mathematician:Henry John Stephen Smith
Irish mathematician remembered for his work in elementary divisors, quadratic forms, and the Smith-Minkowski-Siegel Mass Formula in number theory.
Also worked on elliptic functions.
Irish (then part of Great Britain).
- Born: 2 November 1826 in Dublin, Ireland
- Died: 9 February 1883 in Oxford, England
Theorems and Definitions
- Smith-Minkowski-Siegel Mass Formula
- Smith Normal Form
- Smith-Volterra-Cantor Set (with Vito Volterra and Georg Cantor)
Definitions of concepts named for Henry John Stephen Smith can be found here.
- Arithmetic is one of the oldest branches, perhaps the very oldest branch, of human knowledge; and yet some of its most abstruse secrets lie close to its tritest truths.
Also known as
The Stephen is sometimes omitted when reporting his name: Henry John Smith.
- John J. O'Connor and Edmund F. Robertson: "Henry John Stephen Smith": MacTutor History of Mathematics archive